Assignment: promoting the rule of law in post-conflict societies and crisis zones
In the contexts and countries where peace operations are conducted, government structures are often destroyed or weak, and societies divided. The rule of law can be promoted multilaterally here as follows:
- Creating and stabilizing institutions (e.g. security forces, jurisdiction),
- Restricting arbitrary exercise of power (through greater transparency and better training),
- Working towards legal certainty,
- Supporting good governance, and
- Creating conditions for integration into society (e.g. disarming and reintegrating former fighters).
Promoting structures based on the rule of law is an important component of a comprehensive reform agenda and is internationally among the central tasks of multidimensional peace missions.
Rule of Law has areas of overlap here with democracy promotion, good governance or promoting human rights.